Green Fleets of the Bluegrass aims to improve the environmental performance of vehicle fleets across Kentucky by reducing petroleum fuel use. Green Fleets of the Bluegrass is a voluntary recognition program of the Kentucky Clean Fuels Coalition (KCFC).
The program is structured to provide flexibility for diverse fleets across the Commonwealth to pursue best practices while achieving recognition for successes along the way. Participating fleet managers complete an online survey once per year to submit quantitative data and descriptions of fleet activities.
Participating fleets are evaluated on seven criteria areas:
- Vehicles – Number of conventional and advanced technology vehicles
- Fuel – Amount of conventional and alternative fuels
- Maintenance – Regular preventive maintenance
- Operation – Efficient driving and training
- Partnerships – Leadership efforts
- Strategy – Strategic planning for fleet improvements, including infrastructure.
- Transparency – Internal and external communication
Fleets are recognized with an annual Green Fleets of the Bluegrass rating on a three-tier scale:
- IMPROVING – Progress in four of the seven criteria areas.
- ACHIEVING – Progress in all seven criteria areas.
- LEADING – Continued strong progress in all seven criteria.
Fleets demonstrating exceptional results are recognized with a Green Fleets of the Bluegrass Annual Award.
Examples of exceptional results include pioneer participation, substantial fuel reductions, leadership on advanced vehicle and alternative fuel infrastructure development, or best in class programs for fleet size or sector.
Any centralized fleet operating in Kentucky with at least ten vehicles is eligible for participation in Green Fleets of the Bluegrass. All vehicles are eligible for participation including passenger cars, light duty, medium duty, and heavy duty trucks, freight, forklifts, tractors, watercraft, street sweepers, and other off road vehicles. Data on alternative fuel used in equipment may be included as supplemental information.
Fleets from entities across all sectors are encouraged to participate including companies, manufacturers, municipalities, educational institutions, nonprofits, and others.
All participating fleets receive an annual rating and are eligible to earn a Green Fleets award. There is no fee for participating in Green Fleets of the Bluegrass.
Data is submitted annually via an online survey. Baseline data must be submitted with initial submissions. Contact us if you need help identifying your baseline year.
Green Fleets of the Bluegrass participants must submit entries annually to be eligible for ratings and award presentations. Data for award recognition of 2017 efforts are due on January 26, 2018.