Alternative fuel vehicle training for first responders is a top priority of the Kentucky Clean Fuels Coalition. In 2018, coalition staff began statewide efforts to coordinate with first responders to review the current status of alternative fuel vehicle safety training and assess needs for expanded training. Coalition efforts included speaking at the 2018 Traffic Incident Management Regional Conference, working with Kentucky Transportation Cabinet Traffic Incident Management, and coordinating on grant opportunities with the Kentucky Fire Commissioner.
The Kentucky Clean Fuels Coalition is planning to have a train the trainer first responder alternative fuel vehicle safety training session in 2019. After the statewide training is held, the coalition will use its extensive network of fleets with alternative fuel and advanced technology vehicles to facilitate additional training sessions to be held in areas where these fleets of operate.
The coalition has also been expanding our alternative fuel vehicle safety resource information. Current guides exist for light-duty vehicles, but not heavy-duty fleet vehicles. Therefore, the coalition is establishing a database of heavy-duty alternative fuel vehicle safety information for first responders. Fleets are encouraged to participate by submitting safety information regarding their vehicles. All of the submissions are voluntary. The voluntary safety information can include the following items:
- Critical safety details for the alternative fuel/advanced transportation technology in use by the fleet
- Location of the fueling tanks and/or batteries with safety parameters
- Photos of vehicles with identifying markers for easy identification of fuel type
- Steps for emergency shutdown procedures including images for:
- Setting the parking break
- Turning off the engine (if applicable)
- Turning off the electrical system
- Turning off the fueling system (if applicable)
Fleets interested in being included in the database can enter their contact information below. Kentucky Clean Fuels Coalition staff will reach out to you.
- Free Online Safety Training for U.S. Fire Service on Incidents Involving AFVs
- Tools – Alternative Fuel Vehicle Emergency Field Guide App
- Alternative Fuel Vehicles 3D Exploratory App
- Electric and Hybrid Vehicle Quick Reference Sheet