- This event has passed.
First Responder Alternative Fuel Vehicle Training – Burlington, KY
October 23, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
About this Event
Please join us for the NFPA Alternative Fuel Vehicles Safety Training Program. This course was created to provide guidance on how to safely deal with emergency situations involving alternative fuel passenger vehicles, trucks, buses, and commercial fleet vehicles. The recently revised training now covers electric, hybrid, fuel cell, and gaseous fuel vehicles, including CNG, LNG, and LPG.
The program is FREE for a total of 50 attendees. Space is limited and based upon the discretion of the Franklin County Emergency Management & Homeland Security. By registering via this webpage, attendees will receive updates and reminders for the event. TRAINING ATTENDEES MUST REGISTER WITH THE TRAINING FACILITY BY CALLING (859) 442-4136.
The Kentucky Clean Fuels Coalition is sponsoring both the training and lunch for all attendees. The coalition will also been coordinating with local fleets to have alternative fuel vehicles on-site for attendees to view.
In 2015, NFPA received grant funding through the Department of Energy to expand its comprehensive Alternative Fuel Vehicles Safety Training Program, including its fire service Train-the-Trainer program. This instructor led course is comprised of videos, animations, slides, and activities covering the following topics:
• Introduction to hybrid, electric, fuel cell, & gaseous fuel vehicles
• Basic electrical concepts
• Vehicle systems & charging/refueling infrastructure
• Initial response procedures
• Identification methods, Immobilization, disabling, emergency operations
• Unanticipated vehicle movement, electric shock hazards
• Toxic and flammable gas build-up. Electrolyte skin contact.
• Extrication, Vehicle and Battery fires, Submersion
• High voltage battery damage, Battery re-ignition
• Incidents involving charging stations & refueling stations
• Field Evolutions — including actual AFVs